What can I say, parenthood is always an adventure! Just when you think your doing everything in your power to protect your kids, parenthood comes sneaking around the corner and gives you a kick in the butt...or in our case, a kick to the ground.
Our poor Molly was in a jet ski accident over the summer. 2 months ago
actually, just haven't gotten around to blogging about it.
Our friends called one afternoon and asked if we'd like to head up to the lake later that night to play around on the beach and take the jet skis out.
Um....yes, we'd love too!
Adam met us up there after he got off work. It was so much fun! We pulled the kids on the tubes, played in the sand, and just enjoyed a late summer night at the lake. That is until Molly decided to take a ride on a jet ski...by herself.
Molly was waiting for Adam to take her for a ride. Adam was standing right behind the jet ski on the beach literally stepping to get on. Molly grabbed the handle, bracing herself as Adam got on. She grabbed the right side handle with the throttle and took off right n front of us. The next 10 seconds of my life was probably the scariest of my life. (although, at the time I was to in shock to realize what I was feeling.) My 4 year old daughter was on a jet ski, full throttle, by herself, headed straight for a dock.
At the very last second, the jet ski turned to the right, throwing Molly off into the dock head first. She crashed probably 10-15 feet from shore. We all ran in after her. This all happened about 9pm when there were lots of people loading up their boats for the night. I wasn't focused on what other people were doing but I heard a lot of people asking to help and if she was okay. I even heard a few swear words, which may or may not have come out of Adam's mouth. When I got to her, she was already in Adam's arms. I looked down at my baby, covered in blood, and saw her skull. That's right, her gash was all the way down to her skull. We got her out of the water and jumped in the car. Our friends kept Addison and we sped down to the nearest hospital, which was at least 20 minutes away.
I drove and Adam held Molly and kept her talking. She was remembering and talking about things that happened that day and the bleeding had stopped. All 3 of us were still in our swimming suits...in fact, Molly and Adam still had their life jackets on.
I dropped Adam and Molly off at the ER door and went and parked the car. By the time I got into the ER they had already taken her back and I did a little paperwork. UGH!!! All I wanted was to get back there with my Molly.
I finally got back there and Molly was on the bed getting looked at by the doctor. Her nurse was also there who was a tender mercy from the Lord. It was our neighbor and also Molly's best friend's mom. I could tell it was calming for Molly to see Victoria and for me too. Even though Molly would have been fine with whatever nurse was helping her, it just goes to show that Heavenly Father knows us and cares about us.
I was still freaking out a little thinking Molly was going to have a nasty scar and that she would need plastic surgery. How in the world would anyone stitch up that hole on her forehead? I mean come on, just look at the pictures. When I asked the doctor about it, he seemed very optimistic...I still didn't see it. Once she was all numb, the doctor just squished her forehead together and stitched it up.
Molly was such a trooper. No really, A TROOPER!!! She never even cried except when she first hit the dock and screamed. Even the nurses kept saying that most adults weren't as good as Molly was being. A few times while the doctor was stitching her up she said ouch but about 5 minutes into the stitches she was fast asleep.
We were in and out in about 2 hours. Our friends took Addison home and my friend Lindsey stayed with her until we got home. I don't think I really had a chance to think about that whole ordeal until I got into bed that night. I tossed and turned all night replaying the event and the horrible scene that played out right before my eyes. I was so glad she was okay and I kept rolling over to touch her face. (She was asleep on our floor right beside my bed)
In the few days following this accident, Molly was spoiled and loved by family and friends. She had countless visitors that came with treats and toys. She was so loved and I was so humbled at the love and support we felt from out friends and family. We truly are blessed with great people in our lives.
The following pictures are from the night of the accident. I would caution anyone who has a weak stomach not to scroll down.
I told Molly I was going to take her picture and the cute little bug managed to smile a little. Those blue eyes just about kill me!!!
Looking at this picture, still I am amazed at the minimal scar she has. I bet, because she is so young, the scar will fade and fade until you have to look pretty darn close to see it.
And no, they didn't have to put her to sleep. She was so tired and wiped out from the day that she fell asleep while she was being stitched up.
This picture was the very next morning.
Our friend is a medical assistant and came over about 6 days later to take out her stitches.
This picture was about one month after the accident. I think the scar doesn't even look that noticeable. Maybe I'm just use to seeing it now. In any case, she has a cool story to tell. I'm just glad she is okay.








2 comments:
oh my gosh Keely! I had heard from someone that she had a gash on her forehead but oh!!!!!!! I am so glad she is okay! What a story to tell when she is older.
Holy crap!! I can't even imagine how terrifying that must have been. What a lucky girl to come away from that with just a scar! As gnarly as that gash was, it could have been so much worse. Gah! Dying! I had no idea!
Post a Comment