Looking back on these pictures makes me smile. We did it...I DID IT!
I still can't believe that I can say, I ran a half marathon. I'm not going to lie, it's not the easiest thing I've ever done, but it was worth it, oh so worth it!
I have a good friend that had been working out and getting fit. I had asked her back in November if she wanted to start running. I never thought I was good at running. I had tried it before and didn't like it very much. I would get in a mile or two and feel completely drained, spent, exhausted. I just didn't like it. I still don't know why I asked Jill if she wanted to run with me, probably because I knew she was good motivation. She had been working out...I hadn't. The first time we ran together I only made it a mile, maybe not even that. Over the next few weeks we had made our way to 3 miles. I still remember the first time we did 3 miles. We were so cool!
Soon after accomplishing 3 miles we started talking about a half marathon...SCARY! The thought of running 13.1 miles was a little overwhelming, but it was a goal and we pressed forward. We averaged 3-6 miles 3-4 times a week. Usually 3-4 miles, but 5-6 miles every once in awhile. In the last month we did 8, then 9, then 10.
I never thought I would say I enjoy running, but I do. I use to laugh at people who would say that, and I still laugh at myself for thinking it sometimes. But it's true, I enjoy it.
I do have to say this though, I would have never been able to do this without my faithful, dependable, and encouraging running partner, Jill! She is awesome. She has become a very close friend through the last 6 months. We have spent A LOT of time together. We have spent countless hours running and talking about everything. I love her!!!
We found a half marathon that was in honor of fallen officers and their families. The high speed pursuit 5k, 10k, and half marathon.
Look at those smiles, we have no idea what we got ourselves into.
The race started with a high speed pursuit.
This in the prison swat team.
Jill and Ryan waiting for the race to start.
And, we're off.
Like I said, it was a 5k, 10k, and a half. At this point, these were the people running the 10k and the half. And I think this was still only mile 2 or 3. Still a lot of us together.
This is mile 5 or 6. This is when it really started to thin out.
Here is Jill, I think this is mile 7. Still smiling, not hurting too bad...yet! :)
This is still mile 7.....over half way done, maybe that's why we're smiling. Little do we know that miles 11, 12, and 13 are going to be a killer. The winds pick up and we're in the middle of nowhere. The last 3 miles we are fighting against 20-25 mph winds. It was brutal! All I kept thinking was, don't give up now, don't stop running. At this point I probably could of walked faster than I was running, but we never gave up. I said I wasn't going to walk, and I didn't. But can I just say one more time.....that wind was BRUTAL!
I had never run 11 miles before
or 12!
This hill was the last mile of the race. I know this hill doesn't look very big, but it seriously looked and felt like a mountain to me. This hill with the wind....not happy. If I actually had a picture of my face, you would not see a smile!
One foot in front of the other....that's all I was thinking.
The finish line! 13.1 miles. 2 hours and 19 minutes.
Adam and Ryan finished before us. Ryan...2 hours and 4 minutes. Adam...2 hours and 10 minutes.
It was nice to have Adam waiting at the finish line. A great big hug from him was a perfect way to end the race!
YAY, WE DID IT!!!
Right after our group picture we went and had chocolate milk and a breakfast burrito. It was the best tasting food ever. We also had some snickers, those tasted pretty good too!!!
Jill and I...our first half marathon ever!!!
8 comments:
That's how you got so darn skinny!! Good job! I wish I had motivation like that.
Amazing! This is something to be so proud of! I think I'll stick to my YMCA classes, but this rocks.
You look so so tiny! You give me motivation to want to go today and start running! You averaged like a 10 minute mile- that is SO good!
good job girl!!!! You did it!!! I say amen to everything you said. I still can't believe I am doing this. My half is in 6 weeks and I'm nervous but excited. The training is actually fun. How fun Adam did it with you...you guys look so great!!!
You are awesome! Good for you! You're inspiring me...
You guys are amazing! What an accomplishment!
Congrats Keely!! You look amazing! Way to go!!
That is great..I would have died...way to go!!!
Post a Comment